Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sticky Buns made with Pumpkin Pie Brioche (20th Bread Braid)

Wow! This week I had an awesome fun time working with the Pumpkin Pie Brioche to create 3 delectable desserts. 

I'm so glad we had cooler weather this week and last.  It was so much more enjoyable in the kitchen.  I chose to make the Pumpkin Pie Brioche dough for these recipes for two reasons.  One, it looked tastier and, two, I'd never roasted a pie pumpkin before and was eager to do it for the first time. 

Here is my pie pumpkin ready to go into the oven to be roasted:  I scooped the seeds out before I roasted it.

 After I roasted the pumpkin, I peeled off the skin, roughly chopped it, put it into the food processor for a spin, and then into a cheesecloth lined colander to drain for a few hours:


I got almost exactly my 1 3/4 cups pumpkin puree from a 3.15 lb pumpkin.  We got a good bit of seeds from this little pumpkin and we found them quite tasty after roasting for an hour.  We tossed the seeds with melted butter, salt, Worcestershire Sauce, sugar, garlic powder & a pinch of cayenne.
The dough went together quite easily.  I did make a few modifications as I went along.  Usually, brioche recipes call for egg yolks and not the whites.  This time I used just the yolk for only 1 of my 4 required eggs, but in the future I might try tweaking/playing with the recipe further.  My other modifications were:
+ 1 Tbsp sugar
+ 2 tsp Madagascar Vanilla (-some of the honey)
+ 1.5 times the amount of spices
- 1/4 cup of water

I made the dough on Friday and on Saturday my husband and I dove into the Sticky Bun project.  I was really nervous as I had never made any kind of sticky bun before.  My hubby was just hungry and said "Let's get started!!!"

Dean doesn't like sticky buns that are really sticky, nor excessively sweet so we went to kingarthurflour.com/recipes/ridiculously-easy-no-knead-sticky-buns-recipe and used their recipe for the topping that went into our 9" cake pan.  We omitted the sticky bun sugar (as we didn't have any) and only sparingly sprinkled the pan with pecan pieces.  (Dean's not a fan of nuts in his desserts.)  For the filling we combined 2/3 cups sugar, 1 Tbsp cinnamon, and maybe a 1/2 tsp of orange zest.  We were going to sprinkle some raisins over the dough before we rolled it up, but we forgot.  Before we sprinkled our cinnamon/sugar mixture onto the dough we tried spreading some honey on the dough.  It was kind of tough to spread, but we got some on.  Here is our dough ready to be rolled:

Here is our before and after (rising for an hour) picture for our assembled pan of buns:
I was up and down the stairs all during the "rising" hour checking on the progress of the buns.  I was so excited that they were puffing up, expanding out until they touched, and then pressing up against one another.  Dean wasn't quite so excited as I was, just still hungry.
Tucker was just bored,
but loving the smells:
Finally, the anticipated moment when it's time to eat and share with neighbors these Pumpkin Pie Brioche sticky buns that were just amazing!!!  (I wish I could install a smell-a-vision feature here)
Make sure you visit Big Black Dogs to take a peek at what others have done with their Honey Caramel Sticky Nut Buns.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! Your sticky buns look so good. I didn't get to these yet. I'm waiting for my son to come home from college for the weekend. I know I'll eat them all myself if I make them now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed that you started with a pie pumpkin, been meaning to, but end up opting for canned. Your rolls look great. Tucker looks like he is bored, but I suspect he is like a coiled spring--ready to pounce on anything that hits the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good. I used plain brioche but have a pumpkin one in the fridge for tomorrows cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy your Sticky Buns sure do look good! I love making homemade cinnamon buns, not only is it fun the end result is always so good.

    We love the Pumpkin Pie Brioche and it's such an easy dough to work with and so versatile..you can do just about anything with it. Another good Brioche recipe is the one in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. And if you add a little bit of Cocoa Powder you can make Chocolate Brioche...amazingly good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sticky buns look great. I'm also impressed that you started with a fresh pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete