Monday, February 21, 2011

Honey Wheat Dinner Rolls

When I think of dinner rolls I think of big family get-togethers, like Thanksgiving and Christmas.  We didn't usually have dinner rolls for an everyday meal at our house when I was growing up.  To me though, homemade rolls are comfort food and are meant for anytime you want to make a meal kinda special.  When I saw a recipe for honey wheat rolls in one of my King Arthur Flour catalogs, I thought how good homemade rolls would be and started hunting for potato flour, since that was the only ingredient I didn't have.

The recipe, which you can find here, makes 16 rolls, but I only wanted to make a pan of 8 so I cut the recipe in half.  I used King Arthur White Whole Wheat for my wheat flour, 1/8 cup of potato flour (1/4 cup for a full recipe) instead of the mashed potato flakes, and I subbed 1 Tbsp Baker's Special Dry Milk (2 Tbsp for full recipe) for the nonfat dry milk.  I mixed my ingredients in my bread machine and let it complete the dough cycle.  Then I made my 8 balls and placed them in a 9 in. cake pan like so:

I  like taking a before and after picture of rolls.  I think it's so cool the way they kind of magically expand until they're touching and pushing to burst their way out of the pan.  After only 45 minutes the rolls had puffed up and spread until they were touching, so I pre-heated the oven and popped them in.  I baked for 15 min., covered loosely with a piece of foil, and baked another 10.  They were nice and brown, a mahogany-brown, and boy did they smell good!
These were the best rolls I've ever made!!! Actually, I've only made homemade rolls one other time.  I made them at Thanksgiving this past year for my husband and I.  This batch, though, turned out much nicer and very pretty.  My husband and I couldn't really discern much honey flavor, but I'm sure if the honey hadn't been there we would have noticed a difference.  I will definitely be making these again!
Mmmmmmm!!

BYOB
BYOB is a group committed to a year long adventure of baking our own 
 bread and other baked goods instead of buying them.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, they say a picture is worth a thousand words!! Those dinner rolls looked so good on my computer that it made my mouth water!!

    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete